Thursday, April 3, 2014

How to completely uninstall LibreOffice from Ubuntu and derivatives

I found myself installing LibreOffice by mistake in Elementary OS. Yes, I am not a LibreOffice fan. I like Kingsoft Office a lot more, but that's not the purpose of that post. After noticing my mistake I tried wanted to get rid of it. 

My first instinct  was to go to the Software Center and remove it using the comfortable GUI that it offers. Since I installed the office suite in a bulk installation I didn't know that in the software center, the apps were separate. So I started removing them one by one, hoping that after 5 clicks I would be done. 
Unfortunately though, I wasn't. There was still the "App who rules them all".
It wasn't just the icon that was left. Also the defaults were still set to LibreOffice to open documents and spreadsheets. What annoyed me most was Google Chrome trying to launch it each time I clicked on a document.

So I went to the good old terminal and did it the right way. I'll put it here so that everyone who wants to can use it.
sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment