Tuesday, May 7, 2013

How to kill a program in Linux

Before starting the post I want to tell everyone that I use Linux as my primary OS. More specifically I use Linux Mint. The simplicity and user friendliness of this OS are really astonishing.

Even though it is a pretty stable system, errors and problems are bound to appear once in a while. For example a program might freeze. People accustomed to windows will look for a task bar, but since there is none, they often get stuck.

After some research I found an efficient way to kill any frozen program.

xkill

1. Open a terminal. Either by pressing Ctlr+Alt+t, or Alt+F2 and typing gnome-terminal in it.

2. In the terminal type sudo xkill *, then using your mouse cursor click on the program that you want to kill.

* You will be required to input your password like with any other command that requires administrative rights. (that contains "sudo" in it)


There are other ways to kill a frozen program, but I prefer this one since it more user friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment